Web Designing Mistakes to Avoid for Optimum SEO
There’s no denying the fact that good websites are designed both for search engines and visitors. Since we all know how limiting an artist’s potential isn’t the best way to go about it, most of us would choose to not hamper our web designer’s’ workflow; completely oblivious to the fact that it might be hurting our SEO.
All of us fancy fantastic looking websites that are up and running but it’s important to keep in mind when dealing with websites and search engine optimization that beauty over functionality doesn’t work. Neither does it work the other way round. There needs to be a balance.
There have been umpteen cases where mind-blowing web designs completely ruined the websites’ SEO. Now, I’m not undermining an aesthetically pleasing, superb website, but SEO is the bread and butter of business owners and cannot be put at stake.
Let’s take a look at some of the most common web designing mistakes one needs to avoid for a better SEO:
1. Improper use of heading tags: Heading tags indicate towards the main headings on the web page. This is a way to tell the search engines what the page is all about. It’s one of the major ways a search engine attempt to scrutinize the page, the lack of which can be detrimental for your SEO.
Have a descriptive H1 tag above the fold and the purpose of your website will be clear to search engine crawlers.
2. Bad choice of keywords: Keywords are the base for effective search engine optimization, and it’s imperative that you have the correct set of keywords deployed in the right places.
A number of free online tools are available for determining the relevancy and potency of keywords for your business and website.
3. Large images and bulky media files: No doubt the use of imagery, infographics and videos give your website a professional feel, you should still be prudent with the size of media files you upload.
We’ve all heard the arguments how fine images and animations help reflect your brand value and such media resonates well with users, but it’s important to keep in mind that if your page takes too long to load, no one’s going to bother to stay longer.
Site speed is an official Google Ranking factor and is against their policy of great user experience.
4. Splash pages: Splash pages act as barriers between a website and search engines. All the non-textual content, i.e. Flash, Java, etc. is mostly ignored and devalued by search engines crawlers.
The ideal approach here is to completely discard the usage of splash screens, and if there’s no other way out, fill it up completely with relevant text.
5. Bad URLs and file names: This is an easy SEO opportunity but many websites miss it. Website URLs and file names should be descriptive enough to give the search engines a fair idea of what they really are. Doing so would ensure optimum SEO benefits.
6. Pop-ups: Pop-ups are most often regarded in bad taste by most of the users and search engines alike. Still, a few designers choose to include them in the website. An intrusive pop-up (let’s be honest here, all the pop-ups are intrusive and annoying) hampers a user experience and evoke prejudice.
Search engines do not even consider them a part of the website and cease to index them. Google recently warned against the usage of pop-ups, so it would only be wise to get rid of them for everybody’s sake.
SEO is one of the many components of web design and should be treated accordingly. A design can be fairly overwhelming and still be invisible to search engines, rendering the designing efforts worthless.
If you’re working on a website re-design, or are just beginning with the web designing process, an SEO agency would assist you greatly in scaling down your designing costs and let you get everything right the first time around. Let’s be honest here, web designers do not excel in SEO. Moreover, even if they know a fair deal about SEO, they choose to ignore it because it limits their artistic capabilities.
Futuristic Simplified Computing is one such SEO agency in Delhi that could help you with all your SEO and web designing efforts. Feel free to connect.Social Media Strategy to Increase Brand Awareness Why is customer satisfaction important for a company? Why do you need a call to action button? The Ultimate SEO Strategy For New Websites How To Get More Traffic To Your Blogs?
BE OUR GUEST (BLOGGER)!
If you write on the IT industry... you are invited. Feel free to write to us.